Home Daily Commentaries Markets await inflation data and FOMC announcement.

Markets await inflation data and FOMC announcement.

Daily Currency Update

The US dollar is beginning the week stable against other majors as the USD Index (DXY) is down slightly at -0.06%.  Data on Monday is relative quiet with only the monthly budget statement being released today.  Major data then takes center stage on Tuesday with the release of CPI Inflation numbers, expected to be at 7.3% versus the 7.7% we saw last month.  This will be followed on Wednesday with the Federal Reserve Bank’s interest rate announcement.  Markets are currently pricing in a 74.7% chance of a 50 point hike with the other 25.3% of bets on a more aggressive 75 point bump.

Key Movers

The GBP got some help against other currencies in European trading. As the Gross Domestic Product grew by 1.5% Year-over-Year.  This was better than the 1.3% markets were looking for.

Many of the APAC currencies were down in overnight trading as markets struggle with the adjustment to China putting an end to COVID-19 restrictions.  There are remaining concerns that the lack of vaccines in China may lead to further health concerns as things reopen. The Aussie dollar is the biggest underperformer as concerns around China are putting pressure on the resources that Australia provides to the world’s biggest manufacturer.

Expected Ranges

  • EUR/USD: 1.0507 - 1.0573 ▼
  • GBP/USD: 1.2215 - 1.2296 ▲
  • AUD/USD: 0.6757 - 0.6799 ▲
  • USD/CAD: 1.3636 - 1.3674 ▲