A bank to bank transfer is a reliable and safe way to send money, but how long does it take for a bank to bank transfer to go through? The length of time required to transfer your money will depend upon factors that include:
- Bank holidays
- The currencies that are involved in the transaction
- The payment method that you use
- Whether it’s a domestic or international transfer
- The company you choose to make your money transfer.
Typically, an international bank to bank transfer could take anywhere from 2-5 business days with most banks.
How long does a bank to bank transfer take with OFX?
Our global network of banks allows us to transfer money overseas securely and quickly, so if you’re sending money from Germany to the U.K. for example, we can often offer same day delivery.* Most other major currency transfers may arrive within 1-2 days (from the time OFX receives your funds).
While banks require that you submit your money transfer orders during their business hours, OFX operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Here’s how it works:
- You register with us and use our online form to submit your recipient’s details.
- Once your funds have cleared in our account and we’ve converted them to your desired currency, the funds will be available for onward payment into the recipient’s bank account.
- Provided all funds are received before the cut-off times noted below, we’ll usually start processing the conversion and your payment instructions on the same day.
- The cut-off time that is applicable to your transfer will vary, depending upon what currency you are converting to
Please see below the cut off times per currency:
|Currency you are converting your funds to:
||Cut off time to receive cleared funds for same day/ next day transfer processing [on a business day* (GMT)]
|Danish Krone (DKK), Polish zloty (PLN), Swedish Krona (SEK):
|US dollar (USD), Canadian dollar (CAD), UAE dirham (AED), Australian dollar (AUD), Swiss francs (CHF), Singapore dollar (SGD), Japanese yen (JPY), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), Mexican Pesos (MXN), New Zealand dollar (NZD), Papua New Guinea Kine (PGK), Thai Baht (THB), South African rand (ZAR):
||5.00pm the previous business day
The time your funds will take to reach the recipient’s bank account will depend on a number of factors, notably;
- The currency the payment is being made in
- Where you are sending the money to i.e. where the recipient’s account is located.
|Type of payment:
||How long it takes after we process your payment instruction:
|Payment in sterling to a bank account in the UK:
||Usually same day
|Payments in sterling to an account in the European Economic Area (‘EEA’):
||By the end of the next business day
|Payments in euros to account in the UK or the EEA:
||By the end of the next business day
|All other payments in EEA currencies to accounts in the EEA
||No later than four business days
Depending upon your recipient’s country, it generally takes 1-4 business days to complete the entire process of receiving your funds and sending them to your recipient.
Stay on top of your bank to bank transfer from start to finish
We know how important it is to keep track of where your money is and when it arrives at its destination. That’s why you can log in to track the status of your transfer or use our mobile app to keep an eye on your money, and if you have any questions, we’re just a phone call away.
On top of that, we’ll send you emails or SMS throughout the transfer process to let you know when we’ve received your funds and when your funds have been sent to your recipient’s account.
With OFX, you won’t be left guessing if your money was transferred correctly, and you can rest easy knowing that you’re using a secure and speedy system whose focus is getting your money to its destination in the shortest amount of time possible.
*Delivery times are indicative and measured in business days from the time your funds are received by OFX.
** a business day is a day, other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, on which banks are open for business in London and will not include any public holidays in the country of the recipient’s account.