What you should know before you go to the Philippines
What are the areas to avoid in the PhilippinesIt’s unfortunate but true that there are certain areas throughout the Philippines that should be avoided because they aren’t safe. This does not mean that you should not visit the Philippines at all; it just means that you should do some extra research while you are planning your trip so that you can avoid those areas that could be dangerous.
Below is a short list of some areas that experts recommend avoiding, but this list may not be complete, so researching in advance is necessary.
What are the best ways to get around in the PhilippinesWhen it comes to getting around in the Philippines, you have a few options, and you can choose the best one for your needs based upon how far you need to go and how much you are willing to spend. Here are a few common ways that tourists could easily make their way around the islands:
- Getting a bus ticket is a great way to travel over long distances. The amount you will pay could be based upon how far you go, but buses are typically air conditioned, and some even give you access to Wi-Fi, making for a comfortable and convenient ride.
- Making your way around a city in a taxi could be an easy and affordable way to reach your destination. You could opt for a regular taxi or you could see if there are any Uber drivers available to pick you up.
- A fun and memorable way to get around the Philippines is on a tricycle. This affordable form of transportation could hold up to four individuals, but it could feel a bit cramped, so it’s best for covering shorter distances.
- If you are looking for a thrill, consider renting a motorcycle. As long as you are a confident driver and you have experience riding on bumpy roads or amongst a lot of other motorists, this could be a fun way to get to your next stop.
- Much like buses, jeepneys are another affordable and popular way to move around the Philippines. This is a good form of transportation if you are going to be traveling over long distances, but these vehicles could get crowded with people.
When is the best time to go to the Philippines?You could visit the Philippines at any time of the year, as it is known for its tropical climate, but the most popular time to visit is the dry season, which runs from November through April. This is the time of year when you can head to the country’s gorgeous islands and take in all of the beauty and sunshine that they have to offer, but you could also check out some of the more remote parts of the country as well. Keep in mind, though, that temperatures are typically highest throughout March, April, and May, while the weather is cooler during the months of December, January, and February. And the wettest months are July and August.
The Philippines’ wet season runs from May through October, and this is the time of year when typhoons might strike. But this does not mean that this is a bad time of year to visit either. Although it is the wet season, the rain does not fall constantly, so it may not even affect your plans. And even though the weather could be sunny and hot, there tend to be smaller crowds during this time of year too. But if you really want to avoid the crowds and take advantage of cheaper flights, consider visiting during May or November.