22. How to make the most of studying in Italy
- No border style suits table and table widths don’t line up. Have left as default.
Is Australia a good place to study abroad? Absolutely! Home to some of the top universities in the world, Australia is one of the most sought-after destinations for international students. And when you aren’t in the classroom, there are a host of fun activities that you can participate in, whether you like spending time in the ocean, you want to explore the outback with friends, or you want to take in the local party scene.
If you’ve thought about heading down under to study in a new environment, you’re in for the journey of a lifetime. But, before you take the leap, doing the proper research into what you should expect can help put your mind at ease so you could really take in all that this unique experience has to offer.
How much will it cost to study in Australia?
On average, you might need about $20,000 AUD to cover your living expenses for a year in Australia. Of course, these costs will vary based on your lifestyle and where you live.
When it comes to tuition and fees, how much you’ll need to spend to study abroad in Australia will depend on the program and university that you attend.1
|Undergraduate degree program||Costs vary from $15,000 to $33,000 AUD|
|Doctoral degree program||Costs vary from $14,000 to $37,000 AUD|
Living on your own as a student in another country will come with a range of other costs that you’ll also need to consider. For example, if you’re renting a place to live, you might pay more than $400 AUD per week, or as little as $165 AUD per week.
As another example, groceries and going to restaurants might cost you nearly $300 AUD, while public transport might range from a little as $15 to as much as $55 AUD per week.
Pro tip: OFX provides information on currency trends, including handy currency charts, that you can use to see how your home currency will end up converting into AUD. This can be extremely helpful when budgeting for your studies abroad.
How to save money when studying in Australia
If you’re concerned about the costs of attending university abroad, don’t worry, as there are many ways to fund your aspirations to study internationally.
Transfer tuition with an international money transfer provider
- One easy way to save money when studying abroad is by using an international money transfer provider to transfer your tuition money from your home bank account to your school. With the help of OFX, you can efficiently and securely transfer tuition costs so that you never miss a deadline. On top of that, by using OFX, you can save on the rates that banks charge to make the same exact transfers.
- Did you know that the government of Australia provides financial support to help international students who want to attend the country’s best universities? You’ll need to meet specific requirements, of course, but it’s definitely worth looking into this option. Ask your school’s financial aid department, as well as the financial aid department of the Australian university that you’re planning on attending, to find out about any scholarships that are available.
- In addition to scholarships, don’t forget that there might also be grants that you can receive from the government or from your school to help lower some of your out-of-pocket costs when studying abroad.
- Also keep in mind that there might even be plenty of opportunities to find work near your school in Australia. Working part-time is a wonderful way to gain real world experience, meet new people, and really immerse yourself in the culture of Australia, while making the money that you need to pay all of your school fees on time.
Things to do while studying abroad in Australia
One of the most daunting aspects of studying abroad is going out there on your own. But, once you arrive and settle in, Australia is a welcoming country with friendly locals who will be glad to befriend you. And there are a variety of ways to meet people, both in school and outside of school.
Consider signing up for clubs at your university to meet like-minded people, but also look into local events that are being held in town, as you might be able to meet some fascinating people there as well. And, of course, there are bound to be great cafes, pubs, and more where locals and international students go to have fun, so check those out as well.
How to apply for overseas study in Australia
- First, you’ll need to determine what school you’d like to attend, as well as what program you want to sign up for.
- At this point, it’s also a great idea to research visa requirements so that you’ll know what to do after you’re accepted.
- Then, submit the appropriate application to the school of your choice.
Bear in mind that the entry requirements for one school can be very different from another school’s requirements, and from one course of study to another. Read through the requirements carefully when applying.
For example, you might be required to submit transcripts to prove your academic standing, as well as proof of financial means and English proficiency. And you might even be required to show proof of health insurance.
Once you’ve received an acceptance letter from the school, it will be time to apply for a student visa. To be an international student in Australia, you can apply for your visa online. You’ll need to provide several pieces of information with your application.
These might include a certified criminal record, as well as proof of English proficiency, medical checkups, and financial means. And you might also need to show your Letter of Offer and electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (eCoE) from the accredited university that you applied to.
Get ready for experiences you’ll never forget!
No matter what you’re studying as an international student in Australia, one thing is certain: you’ll be able to broaden your horizons in a multitude of ways. From meeting interesting people and delving into a beautiful culture, to trying new foods and exploring the cities and rural areas of the country, Australia has so much to offer that you’ll never get bored. It’s no wonder that this is one of the most popular destinations for those who wish to study abroad.
Stay up-to-date with AUD exchange rates
When you use OFX you gain access to a host of tools that allow you to stay on top of market movements and save on your global money transfers.
IMPORTANT: The contents of this blog do not constitute financial advice and are provided for general information purposes only without taking into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. UKForex Limited (trading as “OFX”) and its affiliates make no recommendation as to the merits of any financial strategy or product referred to in the blog. OFX makes no warranty, express or implied, concerning the suitability, completeness, quality or exactness of the information and models provided in this blog.