Should I Palletise My Goods, And What Pallets Should I Use For Amazon?
This is a great first-up question, because it’s got a simple black and white answer.
- Pallets dramatically increase air freight costs, so if you’re shipping by air, don’t palletize until after customs clearance.
- Ocean freight cost aren’t driven by weight to the same extent, so have the shipment palletized at the factory. This makes the shipment easier to transport, and better protected against damage or loss.
But, depending on the country, your supplier may need to provide you with a fumigation certificate.
If you’re working with a new supplier, building trust takes time, so:
- Plan to re-palletise to Amazon’s requirements after customs clearance.
- Prep for Amazon’s packaging requirements at this point, too.
- Arrange for a quality inspection in the supplier’s country, at least for the first shipment.